Welcome to Little Miss Cookalot

I love to cook and try new dishes, and more often than not I am asked for the recipe, so I decided to start Little Miss Cookalot as a way of sharing my successes, and failures in the kitchen. The recipes that you find on LMC are what you would find if you came to my house. As a mother of two, there is a focus on food for fussy eaters and you may also notice I like to bake... Most recipes here are amended from well known chefs/cookbook authors, and you will find the source at the bottom of each recipe unless its entirely my own creation. Check back regularly as I hope to add at least 2 new recipes every week.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Bacon and Tomato Spaghetti Sauce

INGREDIENTS
8 rashers smoked bacon, rind removed, cut into kids bite sized pieces
2x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp sugar
a pinch dried chilli flakes (optional)
300g spaghetti
freshly grated Parmesan to serve

METHOD
Cook the bacon in a little olive oil to your desired 'crunch' level.  Pour in tomatoes, oregano, sugar and chlli flakes.  Cook for a further 8-10 minutes, stirring 3-4 times, until the sauce has thickened slightly and is bubbling.
Meanwhile cook the spaghetti according to packet instructions.  Season the sauce with pepper, but go easy on salt as bacon is usually pretty salty.  Serve spooned over the spaghetti with fresh Parmesan

TIP
I pureed the sauce before serving for fussy eating Zach.  Apparently fussy children usually like bacon!

ELLA-ometre  I cooked this a few months back, she wasn't a huge fan of the bacon flavour. I will try it again soon, with less bacon.
ZACH-ometre   He enjoyed it.  Now if only I could get them both liking the same things

No comments: