Welcome to Little Miss Cookalot

I love to cook and try new dishes, and more often than not I am asked for the recipe, so I decided to start Little Miss Cookalot as a way of sharing my successes, and failures in the kitchen. The recipes that you find on LMC are what you would find if you came to my house. As a mother of two, there is a focus on food for fussy eaters and you may also notice I like to bake... Most recipes here are amended from well known chefs/cookbook authors, and you will find the source at the bottom of each recipe unless its entirely my own creation. Check back regularly as I hope to add at least 2 new recipes every week.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Cheese Sauce (Easy Microwave Method)

INGREDIENTS
2T butter
2T flour
salt and pepper
1 3/4 C milk
1 C grated cheese
1-2 tsp wholegrain mustard (to taste)

METHOD
Place butter in microproof bowl on high for 40 seconds until melted.  Add flour and stir well.  Cook another 40 seconds.  Gradually add milk whisking well to prevent lumps from forming.  Microwave on high again for 2 mins.  Stir and cook another 2 minutes.  If the mixture is not yet thick enough, cook for another 2 mins.  Once has reached desired consistency, stir through cheese and mustard, salt and pepper to taste.

COMMENT
I have been making this recipe since I was about 8 years old and I just love the wholegrain mustard through it.  Really great sauce for lasagna, cannelloni, pasta bakes or anytime a cheese sauce or even white sauce is required.  I often make extra and freeze the leftovers so I can put together a quick lasagna or similar without all the cooking.

Source:  Based on the Sanyo Microwave Miracles recipe

No comments: