Welcome to Little Miss Cookalot

I love to cook and try new dishes, and more often than not I am asked for the recipe, so I decided to start Little Miss Cookalot as a way of sharing my successes, and failures in the kitchen. The recipes that you find on LMC are what you would find if you came to my house. As a mother of two, there is a focus on food for fussy eaters and you may also notice I like to bake... Most recipes here are amended from well known chefs/cookbook authors, and you will find the source at the bottom of each recipe unless its entirely my own creation. Check back regularly as I hope to add at least 2 new recipes every week.

Monday, March 21, 2011

Pork and Peanut Noodles

INGREDIENTS
150g thin rice noodles or straight to wok noodles
1T olive oil
1 small onion, peeled and sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
250g minced pork
100g small mangetout, sliced in half
2T peanut butter
2tsp soft light brown sugar
1T dark soy sauce
100ml chicken stock
1 tsp green chili seeded, finely chopped
small bunch fresh coriander chopped (optional)

METHOD
Place the noodles in a bowl, cover with boiling water and leave to soak for 5 min, then drain (if using straight to wok noodles, follow packet instructions).
Heat oil in wok or frying pan, then saute onion for 4 minutes.  Add garlic and cook a further minute.  Add the pork and stir fry for about 8 mins or until the juice have evaporated and the meat is starting to look crisp.  Throw in the mangetout and cook for 2 mins.
Meanwhile mix together the peanut butter, brown sugar, soy sauce, stock and chilli..  Add sauce and noodles to the fry pan, toss well and cook a further minute or until heated through.  Before serving you could sprinkle with a little coriander.

COMMENT
My kids do not eat pork, but love peanut butter, so I was hoping that this combination might be an gentle introduction.  I didn't have any mangetout so I put some thin strips of cucumber through for a fresh bite to the dish.

ELLA-ometre   Didn't like the look of it, but finally tried a bite, only to say it was too peanut buttery!
ZACH-ometre  He ate about 1/4 of it before it got a bit to rich and he was struggling to keep it down


Source:  Annabel Karmel The Fussy Eaters Recipe Book

No comments: