Welcome to Little Miss Cookalot

I love to cook and try new dishes, and more often than not I am asked for the recipe, so I decided to start Little Miss Cookalot as a way of sharing my successes, and failures in the kitchen. The recipes that you find on LMC are what you would find if you came to my house. As a mother of two, there is a focus on food for fussy eaters and you may also notice I like to bake... Most recipes here are amended from well known chefs/cookbook authors, and you will find the source at the bottom of each recipe unless its entirely my own creation. Check back regularly as I hope to add at least 2 new recipes every week.

Friday, April 15, 2011

Mighty Mac and Cheese

INGREDIENTS
350g macaroni
4 medium tomatoes, skinned, seeded and chopped
(if your child is older, or not fussy, then chopped cherry tomatoes with skin on is fine)
75g slice ham, shredded

Quick Recipe - Cheese Sauce (see my recipe)
If you have more time, use Annabels Cheese Sauce
45g butter
45g flour
450ml milk
85g Gruyere grated
60g freshly grated Parmesan
150g mascarpone cheese

40g breadcrumbs and 20g freshly grated Parmesan for topping

METHOD
Cook pasta according to packet instructions in salted water.
If using Annabels cheese sauce; Melt the butter, stir in the flour and cook for 1 min. Gradually add the milk stirring over low heat for 5-6 mins.  Take off the heat, stir in the Gruyere and Parmesan until melted, then the mascarpone cheese.
Drain pasta, return to the pan, pour over the cheese sauce and heat through gently.  Stir in the chopped tomatoes and shredded ham.
Transfer to a greaseproof ovenproof dish.  Mix together breadcrumbs and Parmesan and sprinkle on top.  Place under and preheated grill until golden a bubbling.

COMMENT 
I have only made this using my cheese sauce recipe as a quick meal, but I think I will try Annabels sauce soon, as it sounds delicious and if it feeds Greg and I as well, then I'm all for it!

UPDATE:  Made this last night (29/4/11) with the above cheese sauce.... I couldn't find gruyere so used Gouda, and it was totally delicious and Ella loved it!

ELLA-ometre It was about 1 year ago I made this, but she enjoyed it.
ZACH-ometre It has cheese and ham in it, need I say more?

Source: Annabel Karmels, fussy eaters cookbook

No comments: