Welcome to Little Miss Cookalot

I love to cook and try new dishes, and more often than not I am asked for the recipe, so I decided to start Little Miss Cookalot as a way of sharing my successes, and failures in the kitchen. The recipes that you find on LMC are what you would find if you came to my house. As a mother of two, there is a focus on food for fussy eaters and you may also notice I like to bake... Most recipes here are amended from well known chefs/cookbook authors, and you will find the source at the bottom of each recipe unless its entirely my own creation. Check back regularly as I hope to add at least 2 new recipes every week.

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Roasted Tomato and Mozzarella Salad

INGREDIENTS
2 ox heart or heirloom tomatoes, halved
4-8 large basil leaves
2x125 buffalo mozzarella, halved
4 slices char grilled sourdough bread
2T olive tapenade
4 slices prosciutto
40g rocket and baby spinach
olive oil for drizzling


METHOD                                                                               SERVES: 2
Cut the middle hard fleshy bit out of the tomatoes, and lay tomatoes onto a baking tray. Drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.  Bake on 150C for 60-90 mins  (the longer the better).  Layer with basil and mozzarella and continue to cook on 200C until mozzarella is melted and bubbling.  Meanwhile spread olive tapenade onto the sourdough and cover with rocket/spinach and prosciutto.   Add 2 tomatoes to each plate.  Sprinkle with a little more salt and drizzle with oil.  

COMMENTS
I made this for my 'gluten free' sister-in-law by using gluten free bread instead of sourdough, but used regular sourdough for my neice and myself.  Lots of wows when I brought it out, and they wouldn't believe how simple this dish was to make.  They both loved it, and whilst I thought it wouldn't be filling enough for dinner, we were all stuffed.   Definitely a great lunch or 'ladies' dinner.   This dish will be seen often at our house!


Make me gluten free    As mentioned just exchange the sourdough for gluten free bread.


Source: Based on -  Donna Hay, Fast, Fresh, Simple

No comments: