Welcome to Little Miss Cookalot

I love to cook and try new dishes, and more often than not I am asked for the recipe, so I decided to start Little Miss Cookalot as a way of sharing my successes, and failures in the kitchen. The recipes that you find on LMC are what you would find if you came to my house. As a mother of two, there is a focus on food for fussy eaters and you may also notice I like to bake... Most recipes here are amended from well known chefs/cookbook authors, and you will find the source at the bottom of each recipe unless its entirely my own creation. Check back regularly as I hope to add at least 2 new recipes every week.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Pasta with Asparagus and Taleggio

INGREDIENTS
200g fettuccine or pappardelle
12 asparagus spears, sliced with a vegetable peeler
2T olive oil
1T lemon juice
1/4C small basil leaves
sea salt and cracked black pepper
100g taleggio, thickly slice

METHOD
Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for about 8-9 mins or until almost al dente.  Add the asparagus and cook for 30 seconds or until tender.  Drain and return to the warm pan.  Add the oil, lemon juice, basil and salt and pepper and toss to combine.  Divide pasta mixture between 2 serving bowls and top with taleggio.  

COMMENTS                                             SERVES 2
Follow the recipe!  I thought the ratio of asparagus to pasta seemed high so I did more pasta and less asparagus.  The dish WAS really nice, but the pasta was overwhelming.  I made it with pappardelle.  I'm going to try the dish again but make it with fettuccine instead.   It would make a really nice starter.   I had never had taleggio before and just loved it....I'm trying to think of other asparagus and taleggio combinations, first stop will probably be some kind of beef schnitzel stuffed with taleggio and served with asparagus, yum, or some kind of tart.  My mouth just waters thinking about this dish and what it could be!  (oh and this dish is soooo quick to make).

Source:  Donna Hay, Fresh, Fast, Simple

No comments: