Welcome to Little Miss Cookalot

I love to cook and try new dishes, and more often than not I am asked for the recipe, so I decided to start Little Miss Cookalot as a way of sharing my successes, and failures in the kitchen. The recipes that you find on LMC are what you would find if you came to my house. As a mother of two, there is a focus on food for fussy eaters and you may also notice I like to bake... Most recipes here are amended from well known chefs/cookbook authors, and you will find the source at the bottom of each recipe unless its entirely my own creation. Check back regularly as I hope to add at least 2 new recipes every week.

Monday, May 2, 2011

GLUTEN FREE Vanilla Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Icing

INGREDIENTS
100g butter at room temperature
100g golden caster sugar (I used regular as its all I had)
2 large eggs at room temperature
55g gluten free plain flour
55g almond meal (ground almonds)
1 tsp baking powder (check its gluten free, most are)
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract

Chocolate Buttercream
60g plain chocolate melted
100g butter at room temperature
165g icing sugar (double check its gluten free, most are)
1T milk


METHOD                                                                                            MAKES:  8 cupcakes
Preheat oven to 180C.  Beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.  Add remaining ingredients and mix to combine.  Spoon into cupcake cases in a muffin tin and bake for 20-25 mins, until risen and firm to the touch. Cool for 5 mins in tin, then transfer to wire rack.
ICING 
Beat butter until pale and fluffy and beat in the icing sugar a little at a time.  Fold in the melted chocolate followed by a little milk.

CELIAC-ometre   I have found that some of the gluten-free products are pretty bland and not something I would eat myself, however these cupcakes were great and loved by the birthday girl and non-celiac guests alike.  I will definitely make these again


Source:  Annabel Karmels, The Fussy Eaters Cookbook

No comments: