Welcome to Little Miss Cookalot

I love to cook and try new dishes, and more often than not I am asked for the recipe, so I decided to start Little Miss Cookalot as a way of sharing my successes, and failures in the kitchen. The recipes that you find on LMC are what you would find if you came to my house. As a mother of two, there is a focus on food for fussy eaters and you may also notice I like to bake... Most recipes here are amended from well known chefs/cookbook authors, and you will find the source at the bottom of each recipe unless its entirely my own creation. Check back regularly as I hope to add at least 2 new recipes every week.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

SLOWCOOKER - Good Old Meatloaf

INGREDIENTS
500g minced meat
500g sausage meat
1 large carrot grated
2 medium zucchini grated
1x 45g packet tomato and onion soup mix

METHOD
Turn the slow cooker on high and coat with non-stick spray.  Tear off a strip of baking paper, about 10cm longer than twice the height of the slowcooker and fold it in half lengthways.
Put all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix everything together until well combined.  Shape into a loaf or ball shape that will fit your slow cooker.  Put it crossways onto the non-stick paper and lower into the slowcooker.  Put on the lid and cook on high for 4-6 hours (leave paper in slowcooker).

COMMENT
I'm not a big fan of eating big chunks of meat (unless its a steak!), but I was determined to try some old fashioned food on the family last week, and this seemed to fit the bill and was sooooo easy to make in the slow cooker!  Hubbie said it was 'not bad'.  I think cold in a picnic or to feed the 'older generation' might be an option (I didn't actually try this, made me feel ill looking at it).

ELLA-ometre  She didn't like the look of it, but did try two bites after many threats, then asked if she could have left over fish pie from the night before.
ZACH-ometre   He gobbled it all up with some tomato sauce

Source:  100 great ways to use slowcookers and crockpots by Simon and Alison Holst

No comments: