Welcome to Little Miss Cookalot

I love to cook and try new dishes, and more often than not I am asked for the recipe, so I decided to start Little Miss Cookalot as a way of sharing my successes, and failures in the kitchen. The recipes that you find on LMC are what you would find if you came to my house. As a mother of two, there is a focus on food for fussy eaters and you may also notice I like to bake... Most recipes here are amended from well known chefs/cookbook authors, and you will find the source at the bottom of each recipe unless its entirely my own creation. Check back regularly as I hope to add at least 2 new recipes every week.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

SLOWCOOKER - Roasted Tomato Soup

INGREDIENTS
1.5kg ripe tomatoes
5 cloves garlic still in skin
1 onion peeled and half
1/4C flour
1C water
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
fresh or dried basil and oregano

METHOD
Half tomatoes and cut out core (as seen in picture).  Place tomato, garlic and onion into a baking tray and sprinkle with a little oil and rock salt.  Bake on 150C for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours until just starting to colour but not blacken.     Remove from oven, squeeze garlic out of skin and sprinkle all ingredients with flour and stir in roasting pan.  Gradually add water and mix.  Pour all ingredients into slowcooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours.  I then use a stick mixer to puree all the ingredients whilst still in the slowcooker bowl (you can use a food processor).   Strain, season to taste with salt and pepper and its ready to serve.  Its a very thick and creamy soup which is delicious - to make it even creamier you can add some fresh cream before serving, or for a healthier option so Greek yogurt.

COMMENT  I made this using a 'whole' garlic' which was waaaaay to garlicky (and I'm a fan of garlic), I suggest you play around with the garlic quantities to suit your families palette.  I will make it again soon as above.

Make me Gluten Free  Exchange the flour for Gluten Free flour

ELLA-ometre  I added some broken pieces of cooked spaghetti for a more substantial kids dinner, and Ella loved it.
ZACH-ometre I expected he would love it, but the garlic was just a bit to strong for him.

No comments: