Welcome to Little Miss Cookalot

I love to cook and try new dishes, and more often than not I am asked for the recipe, so I decided to start Little Miss Cookalot as a way of sharing my successes, and failures in the kitchen. The recipes that you find on LMC are what you would find if you came to my house. As a mother of two, there is a focus on food for fussy eaters and you may also notice I like to bake... Most recipes here are amended from well known chefs/cookbook authors, and you will find the source at the bottom of each recipe unless its entirely my own creation. Check back regularly as I hope to add at least 2 new recipes every week.

Monday, May 16, 2011

Seriously Strawberry Ice Blocks

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 tsp caster sugar
50ml water
200g strawberries, hulled
juice of 1 orange (about 75ml)
300g strawberry yoghurt or strawberry fromage frais

METHOD
Put sugar and water into a saucepan and boil about 3 mins until syrupy. Set aside to cool.
Quarter the strawberries and puree in a hand blender.  Press through a sieve to remove seeds.
Combine strawberry puree with the cooled syrup and orange juice and pour into 6 ice block moulds until about a third full.  Freeze until solid.  When the first layer is set, pour in yoghurt to a depth of 2.5cm and freeze.  Once this layer is frozen, pour in the puree mixture almost to the top and insert a stick into each iceblock.  Freeze again.  
When ready to eat run each mould under hot water for a few seconds to loosen the lollipops.

COMMENT
This is much easier to make than it sounds and the kids love them.  I made this quite a few times when I lived in Macau for all the kids to rave reviews.  Make a double mixture so you always a few in the freezer.   It has been a while since I made this one, and as we are coming into winter I might save it for when things warm up to try again, however I know many of you are coming into summer, so this is for you :)

Source:  Annabel Karmels Feeding Your Baby and Toddler

No comments: