Welcome to Little Miss Cookalot

I love to cook and try new dishes, and more often than not I am asked for the recipe, so I decided to start Little Miss Cookalot as a way of sharing my successes, and failures in the kitchen. The recipes that you find on LMC are what you would find if you came to my house. As a mother of two, there is a focus on food for fussy eaters and you may also notice I like to bake... Most recipes here are amended from well known chefs/cookbook authors, and you will find the source at the bottom of each recipe unless its entirely my own creation. Check back regularly as I hope to add at least 2 new recipes every week.

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Asparagus Risotto

INGREDIENTS
300g good quality risotto rice
25g unsalted butter
50ml olive oil
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
1 stick celery, finely chopped
1L chicken or vegetable stock (hot)
1C dry white wine
3 bunches asparagus, finely chopped
150g baby spinach, roughly chopped
1C parsley, finely chopped
50g Parmesan
30g unsalted butter
juice of 1 small lemon
salt and pepper to taste

METHOD
Sweat onions and celery in a heavy based saucepan with butter and olive oil very slowly for 10 mins before adding the rice and sweating for a further 2 mins.  Add the wine and reduce until liquid has almost disappeared, before adding the stock, small amounts at a time, stirring constantly between each addition.  When the rice is almost cooked, add the asparagus.  Remove from the heat and add the spinach, parsley, lemon juice, butter and Parmesan.  Stir together and season to taste.

COMMENT
Yet to try this one on the kids, but I thought it was  DELICIOUS!  (Trying to decide when I can serve it up again)


Make me gluten free
Make sure your stock is gluten free and you are good to go


Source:  Riverstone Kitchen, by Bevan and Monique Smith

No comments: