Welcome to Little Miss Cookalot

I love to cook and try new dishes, and more often than not I am asked for the recipe, so I decided to start Little Miss Cookalot as a way of sharing my successes, and failures in the kitchen. The recipes that you find on LMC are what you would find if you came to my house. As a mother of two, there is a focus on food for fussy eaters and you may also notice I like to bake... Most recipes here are amended from well known chefs/cookbook authors, and you will find the source at the bottom of each recipe unless its entirely my own creation. Check back regularly as I hope to add at least 2 new recipes every week.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Coriander Chicken Curry

INGREDIENTS
2T ground coriander
2T ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground fennel seed
1T butter
1 medium onion
2 chicken breasts, diced into bite sized pieces
2T curry paste such as Madras  (I used Madras)
1 thumb sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped as small as you can (I used tsp from a jar)
2x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
salt and black pepper
a handful of fresh coriander, chopped
Coconut cream to taste

METHOD
Peel and chop the onion as small as you can.  Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat, adding onion and cook until it softens.  Add chicken and fry until the chicken changes colour.  This takes about 2mins each side.  Add curry paste, ginger, and spices and stir well.  Cook for a few minutes to improve the flavour before adding anything else.  Stir in chopped tomatoes.   Bring to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook on a medium heat for 25 mins.  Keep checking to make sure it does not dry out - add some water if it does.  Stir in coriander and creamed coconut to make it as creamy as you wish.    Add salt and pepper to taste.  Serve with rice.

COMMENT
Greg and I love curry, so I am keen to introduce some mild curry flavours to the kids.  This one is from a kids cookbook, so I was confident it would be mild.  One of the options was to grind your own spice seeds (coriander/cumin/fennel) which I did, but it was too gritty for the kids in my opinion, so I advise to use powder.   I used a whole tin of coconut cream to make it really creamy, and was really impressed with the final flavour.   A kids dish, BUT  mild curry that I would be happy to eat (and I did have it for my dinner), although I do usually like spicier options.  Will definitely make it again.

ELLA-ometre  She wasn't too keen on the chicken, but enjoyed a bit of sauce with her rice
ZACH-ometre  He was very keen on the chicken and a bit of rice, but not so much the sauce on its own.  neither child ate a big portion, but they are very new flavours to them.   So I thought they did well.

Source:  Noras Dinners by Nora Sands

No comments: